This is a great opportunity to join our Board of Management and provide key leadership as we look to head into an exciting phase of re-development.
Following a long tenure, Hafan Cymru’s current Chair John Morgan will be stepping down this year before his tenure comes to an end in 2023, so we’re excited to get under way to identify and appoint his successor. This is an exciting time as we enter our next stage of development, which will see the organisation reinvigorated for years to come.
* Remuneration: Voluntary, however reasonable expenses will be reimbursed
* Duration: Three-year term which is extendable up to 3 times
* Location: Flexible – meetings will be held in-person and virtually as agreed amongst the board
* Time Commitment: 4 Board Meetings per year, AGM, 2 Strategy Days, 2 Governance Committees and regular contact with the Chief Executive
* Closing Date: Sunday 24th July 2022
Purpose & Responsibilities
* To ensure efficient conduct of the business, of the Board of Management, and of general meetings, and in particular, to ensure that the views of all the Board members are sought before any important decision is made
* To establish a constructive working relationship with, and provide support for, the Chief Executive
* When necessary (for example, following resignation) and in conjunction with other Board members, to ensure that the Chief Executive is replaced in a timely and orderly fashion
* Ensure that the Board delegates sufficient authority to the Chair, Chief Executive and/or others to enable the business of the Association to be carried on effectively between 16 meetings of the Board, and to ensure that the Board monitors the use of these delegated powers
* To take decisions delegated in this way to the Chair, preferably in consultation with at least one other voluntary Board member and with the advice of the Chief Executive
* To ensure that the Board receives professional advice when it is needed
* Review the composition of the Board and its individual members, ensuring that action is taken to remedy any deficiencies
* In conjunction with one or more voluntary members, to appraise the performance of the Chief Executive and determine the remuneration of the Chief Executive and other senior staff
* To ensure that the Association complies with the other recommendations of the Code of Governance, as appropriate to its circumstances
* To represent the Association on appropriate occasions.
* Strong Chairing or leadership experience at Board level
* A thorough understanding of the responsibilities of a board and how it operates
* An understanding of the regulatory/legislative environment which Hafan Cymru operates within
* Able to demonstrate excellent alignment to the vision and values of Hafan Cymru
* Sound understanding of governance and the role it plays within an organisation
* Strong intellect and understanding of how an organisation like Hafan Cymru is managed
* Good strategic perspective and excellent ability to work as part of a team, encouraging participation and engagement
Equality & Diversity
Hafan Cymru believes that tackling inequality and discrimination is fundamental to the health and wellbeing of all our communities. We believe that everyone has the right to equal access to opportunities including support services, employment, learning and housing. To achieve this, we are committed to working towards removing barriers to opportunities and to narrowing the gap between the most disadvantaged and others.
The principles of equality, fair treatment and social inclusion for all are to be the basis for every aspect of the Association’s business and operation.
We’d like to particularly encourage anyone coming from a disadvantaged background, an ethnic minority and/or anyone with any form of protected characteristic to consider applying so that we can learn more from your unique perspective.
To apply for this position, you’ll be required to provide:
* An updated copy of your CV
* Provide a supporting statement or video, addressing: Why you believe you’d make a credible candidate
* Complete an equal opportunity monitoring form and declaration form which will be shared upon receipt of your application
We intend to hold interviews during the week commencing 8th and 15th of August 2022.
If you have an interest in the sector or would like to use your skills and experience to help deliver our vision, then do check out the candidate pack below.